Residential Garden Landscaping Using Low Maintenance Design Principals.
When this elderly lady wanted to enjoy a relaxing garden environment, low maintenance landscaping ideas were incorporated to ensure her time was spent relaxing in; not working on the garden.
There were also two important aspects to consider, security and trouble free walking with no ‘trip hazzards’.
A new verandah was built; attached to the rear of the house, new concrete block retaining walls replaced the existing ‘permapine logs’, artificial grass was laid replacing existing tired lawn and original concrete driveway and paths were replaced with pavers; after installing an effective stormwater drainage system.
The raised garden beds included laying an ag-pipe drainage system, organic mulch, drip irrigation system and low maintenance plants before being dressed with river pebbles.
Details of the low maintenance landscaping project:
- Removed dilapidated old ‘permapine’ retaining walls and edging, ‘Astro Turf’, concrete, timber decking, timber pergola, existing plants and 70 tonne of soil,
- Supplied and built concrete block retaining walls using Boral’s ‘Heathstone’ almond coloured blocks, walling and steps to create raised garden beds with matching bullnose coping inclusive of ag-pipe drainage system behind all retaining walls at a height of aprox. 800mm for easy gardening,
- Excavated down to orange ‘forticon’ and fitted a 450mm vertical damp proof membrane to stop any future edge wetting issues,
- Supplied and laid 400mm x 400mm Urbanstone ‘Donnybrook’ textured pavers; inclusive of 100mm compacted quarry rubble base. Pavelock was spread between the joints to minimise weed and moss growth and reinforced concrete edging was added to the rear,
- Boral ‘Classic’ pavers (240mm x 120mm) in charcoal with contrasting almond colour border was laid in a 90 degree herringbone pattern to create a focal entrance path for the front garden,
- Supplied and laid our own ‘Burnside’ 38mm artificial grass to various areas of the front and back garden,
- Removed concrete driveway and paths at the front, then installed a functional storm water drainage system with a slimline top that would not block up due to leaf debris from surrounding trees,
- Supplied and built a Stratco ‘Outback’ verandah with flat roof; replacing the dilapidated timber structure. This included handling the design, engineering and council approval,
- Drip irrigation systems were installed to all garden beds – front and back,
- Garden beds were prepared with organic loam before low maintenance plants were added,
- River pebbles were then used to ‘top dress’ all garden beds.
One of the main reasons local landscapers Golden Grove home owners choose from ‘Visual Landscape Gardening’ are selected to complete garden landscaping, is the wide range of skills they are licensed to complete.
Every aspect of the garden design including stormwater run off implications, retaining walls, paving and building verandas is carefully planned to make sure the client will be happy for many years to come and why ‘Visual Landscape Gardening’ have been referred by clients repeatedly for landscaping Golden Grove homes on a budget.